Wurlitzer Theatre Pipe Organdev_admin

The Wurlitzer theatre pipe organ installed in the Stahl Museum has its origins in the instrument the Wurlitzer factory built for its founder. The console and select sets of pipes were from the Wurlitzer mansion in Cincinnati Ohio. Built in 1923, there was no record of this instrument ever having been sold; it was never invoiced to the family!
Wurlitzer was the premier manufacturer of Theatre Pipe Organs, from 1915-1940 they made over 2,500 of them, these instruments were the voice of the silent film.

In 1999 the instrument was re-designed and enlarged to be a complete concert grade theatre organ, the new specification was made by theatre organist Lyn Larsen, utilizing select ranks (sets) of pipes from many 1920s vintage Wurlitzers. The organ was completely rebuilt by master restorer Ken Crome, and installed in the Milhous Museum in Boca Raton Florida. The Crome Organ Company installed the organ in the Stahl Museum.

The organ has three keyboards, 23 sets of pipes ranging from Trumpets and Saxophones with brass resonators (horns), Violins, Viols, Flute, Clarinet, Tuba, Oboes and other orchestral instruments, 1,524 pipes and 208 tuned percussion notes in total. The percussion section includes a Marimba, Xylophone, Glockenspiel, Chimes, Celesta, Vibraphone, Piano and tuned Sleigh Bells. “trap” Percussions include Snare Drum, Cymbals, Castanets, Tambourines, as well as silent movie sound effects like bird whistles, Door Bells, Surf, Slide Whistle, Locomotive Whistle and of course—auto horn!